BROADALBIN, N.Y.-- It's every family's worst nightmare.
"The mailman saw the smoke from Lance's garage and came over banging on the door. We went over to the garage, we saw the smoke coming out the back, and all kinds of flames started shooting out and we immediately called 911," said Greg Giarrusso, a neighbor.
"When the first units arrived, they has a fully involved garage fire," said Scot Hall, chief of the Broadalbin-Kennyetto Fire Company.
No one was home when the fire broke out, but family members were alerted and arrived as firefighters worked to save their house.
"The house is salvageable, just a little minor heat damage, and the garage is a total loss," said Hall.
The garage housed logging equipment including a massive log loader. Everything inside the structure was destroyed, but thanks to the quick work of the firefighters, they were able to save the house.
"The house is fine, and that's all that matters," said Rachael Winney, who lives in the house.
"When they say you see flames and it goes up quick, they don't kid around. It went up real quick, and it's a darn shame," said Giarrusso.
Since the area does not have hydrants, neighboring departments assisted by bringing tanker trucks of water to assist the firefighters on scene. No cause has been determined.