The Skylane Motel on Central Avenue has been a nuisance and threat to public safety for years. As Geoff Redick reports, the motel was finally shut down on Thursday.
COLONIE, N.Y. -- Residents at the Skylane Motel were given a 4 p.m. deadline on Thursday to move out, when the motel will become officially condemned.
Ceilings are falling, the rooms are full of mold and waste, there is no heat in some of the rooms, the electrical wiring is out of date, and there are pipes leaking onto live electrical equipment.
Arjun Patel, the owner of Skylane Motel, was handed more than 250 code violations. He appeared in Colonie Town Court on Thursday morning, and plead not guilty.
According to town officials, they plan to make an example out of this incident.
"We're not looking to plea bargain with this case. The severity of this is such that we're not looking to cut breaks. At this point, we want to ensure the people staying there have a safe habitable place to live," said Rebekah Kennedy, the Colonie Assistant Attorney.
Colonie Town Supervisor Paula Mahan added, "When we have taken it very seriously. It's been a difficult issue, it's been a sensitive issue. But we've put a tremendous amount of time into trying to improve the situation."
Skylane Motel was a facility where Albany County sent some of its Social Services clients to live. However, after last month's investigation, the only county tenant has since moved to a different home.
If Patel is convicted, he could face up to $750,000 in fines.