Albany Fire officials say it could have been a lot worse, after eight people were sick after carbon monoxide poisoning in their apartment. Time Warner Cable News Reporter Innae Park joins us from Albany.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- "It could've been death," said Warren Abriel, Acting Albany Fire Chief.
But thankfully, the eight people living at 108 Second Avenue in Albany are all fine, despite having carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday night.
All in an effort to keep warm.
"The occupants were supplementing their heat with the use of their range. Their stovetop and oven, they had it on most of the day with the doors open," said Abriel.
With the recent frigid temperatures, Acting Fire Chief Warren Abriel says it's crucial to seek help, not heat, when you're suffering from cold.
"Don't heat your home with any type of indoor or open flame, carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, so they can't tell," he went on to say.
Other tips: be sure to get your furnace checked annually, and if you need better shelter, contact local authorities.
Also, have a carbon monoxide detector, which the acting chief says saved this family.
"They were fortunate enough to call for EMS before people started dozing off and sleeping through the night, because it would've been tragic," Abriel added.
National Grid was called to inspect the home, and workers "red-tagged" the two boilers for a small carbon monoxide leak. But the Chief says that wasn't the cause of the poisoning.
Chief Abriel also says there already was heat on in the home.