Flooded restaurant loses TV's and sound system, but plans to re-open in two weeks. Geoff Redick reports.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- When employees locked up Wolf's 111 Bar & Restaurant at the Times-Union Center last Saturday, the eatery was as dry as a martini.
That changed on Sunday.
"About 4 o'clock we had an alarm going off," recounts Owner Mike Diraddo. "So a manager came down, opened the front doors and water just started gushing out of the building. It was hitting him in the shins."
It just kept coming, too: about 1,000 gallons spilling from a second floor ceiling sprinkler line, which burst amidst sub-zero temperatures Sunday morning.
"It was very, very cold," said Diraddo, "and I'm from Canada, so I'm used to that kind of cold."
Diraddo says the furnace at Wolf's 111 always stays on, to protect against such a freeze. Sunday's temperatures were so frigid, though, that a pipe simply located near a large window was affected enough to freeze and burst.
"Being in a small business, you always keep the heat on during these cold days," said Diraddo, who's estimating close to $200,000 in damage. "I mean it's one of those occasions where something happened, and this time it happened to us."
There's a Siena basketball game at the Times Union Center on Friday, and Wolf's 111 will unfortunately lose that business.
However, Diraddo hopes to be open by the next Siena home game on January 23. Until then, he's keeping his employees busy at his other restaurant located on Wolf Road.